|KHLONG KRAMANG (คลองกระมัง)
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - June 2010
Reviewed March 2011
|Khlong Kramang flows on the border between Hantra and Phai Ling sub-district. It
covers the stretch between Khlong Hantra and Khlong Ban Bat. At par with Khlong
Hantra, Khlong Dusit and Khlong Khao San, this canal was once a stretch of the Pa Sak
Khlong Kramang houses an active Buddhist monastery on its south bank being Wat
Phraya Tikaram. Three more monasteries were situated along this canal:
the vanished Wat Jula Mani on its south bank, the vanished Wat Tha Pho on its north
bank and the still existing - by the FAD restored - ruin
of Wat Nang Kham. Wat Tha Pho and Wat Nang Kham were also situated respectively
on the west and east bank of Khlong Doem/Kudi Dao, a canal arriving from the north (1).
Running east of Khlong Doem / Khlong Kudi Dao and parallel with it,
Khlong Maheyong arrived from the north, linking the Maheyong monastery and its
neighbors with Khlong Kramang.
The canal is named after a common fish in the Siamese waters, the Smith's Barb
Khlong Kramang can be paddled by kayak as part of the Hantra kayak trip. A
description of the trip can be found on this web site under the section "kayaking".
(1) Also called Khlong Dusit.
(2) Puntioplites Proctozysron.
 Our Wars with The Burmese - Prince Damrong Rajanubhab (1917) - Re-edited
White lotus (2000).
|(Aerial canal view)