|KHLONG WAT POM/WAT WORACHET
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2014
Updated April 2020
|Khlong Wat Pom or the Canal of the Monastery of the Fortress was situated in the
western area of Ayutthaya in Ban Pom Sub-district. The canal goes also under the name
of Khlong Wat Worachet.
The canal connected Wat Worachet via a stretch of the Bang Kaeo River to Hua Laem,
the northwestern point of Ayutthaya's city island (1).
The mouth of the today defunct canal stood opposite Khlong Wat Yai (a canal leading to
Wat Khok Phraya Ram) and was situated between Wat Pom Yai and Wat Pom Noi.
There were no other monasteries along its canal banks.
(1) This stretch became in the mid-19th century the river bed for the Chao Phraya
River, when the latter was deviated towards Ayutthaya.
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)
|(View of the remaining stretch of Khlong Wat Pom)
|(Detail of a Monthon Krung Kao map drafted in 1916)
|(Detail of a Military map - Amphoe Bang Pa-In,
Thailand - Edition 1 RTSD 1:50.000 Grid Zone 47
P/EG 11 - Sheet 5154 III series L708 falls within ND
47-8, L 509 1:250.000)