|WAT POM YAI (วัดป้อมใหญ่)
|Wat Pom Yai or the Monastery of the Large Fortress was located off the city island in
the western area in Ban Pom Sub-district. The monastery was located along the Chao
Phraya River above the city and the site can be accessed via road No 3412. Wat Phra
Ngam was situated north of it and Wat Pom Noi on its south side. Wat Phukhao Thong
was situated on the opposite side of the Chao Phraya River.
Between Wat Pom Yai and Wat Pom Noi was a canal called Khlong Wat Pom, which
had a junction with the Chao Phraya River. Opposite the mouth of this klong was
another canal leading to Wat Phukhao Thong called Khlong Yai.
Nothing of this monastery remains at ground level. The site is covered with vegetation
and rather marshy. On the eastern side of the site (along Khlong Wat Pom) there is an
earthen wall, which may be could contain remnants of the outer wall of the monastery,
although this remains a guess.
The site is heavily prone to inundation. For this reason a new temple with the an identical
name was established at the end of the 20th century at the opposite side of the old
Monastery along Rd 3412.
The monastery figures in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. Migrating Shans fleeing
Burma, fought off successfully the Burmese at Nong Pling and advanced to Phitsanulok
in 1584. Prince Naresuan at Phitsanulok ordered all the border routes sealed to block
their escape and received the Thai Yai and their families at Phitsanulok. The Thai Yai
were thereafter sent down to Ayutthaya and took residence near Wat Pom.
"On Tuesday, the eleventh day of the waning moon of the eighth month, a year of
the tiger, eighth of the decade, [1566?] the King ordered the Thai Yai families;
who had come seeking the shelter of the King’s [CD: great] [CF: royal] merit,
delivered down to the Celestial Capital and Great [D: Royal] Metropolis. His
Royal Father bestowed utensils and comestibles on all the Thai Yai and then
allowed them to take up residence in the vicinity of Pòm Monastery." 
Wat Pom Yai was located in approx. geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 48.33" N, 100°
32' 1.96" E.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 96 /
Source: British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat & Royal Autograph - Naresuan Prepares
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2009
Updated July 2018
|(The new temple called Wat Pom Yai)
|(Former location of Wat Pom Yai)
|(Earthen wall on the east side)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)