|INTERACTIVE HISTORICAL MAPS
|Ayutthaya Historical Research created a number of Interactive maps of Ayutthaya indicating the positions of old Buddhist monasteries and other
ancient structures dating back to the Ayutthayan era. At present there are 4 interactive maps. The FAD 1993 Interactive map gives an overview of
the most important archaeological sites registered in Ayutthaya in the 1990's. The FAD 1957 Interactive map gives an overview of the most
important archaeological sites regustered in Ayutthaya in the1950's. The PBR Interactive Historical Map shows the positions of the Buddhist
monasteries, surveyed by Phraya Boran Rachathanin (PBR) in the early 20th century. The ca.1850 CE Interactive Historical Map shows the
positions of the Buddhist monasteries, surveyed in the mid-19th century likely during the reign of King Rama IV.
Below you will find the interactive historical maps which point out the positions of Buddhist monasteries in the Ayutthaya area. Hovering over an icon
will give you basic information over the monastery in that location while clicking an icon will lead you to its web page. If some icons fail, please
inform us via mail (see tab "Contact Us").
On a low speed Internet connection, the upload of the interactive maps can be slow. Click the map for an interactive view.
|The map of Ayutthaya drafted in 1993 by Region 3 of
the Fine Arts Department shows the important sites, known
at that period. The map indicates locations of vanished
monasteries; brick mounds, the rumble of destroyed
temples; ruins, and temples remained active or reactivated
after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767.
The map is courtesy of Khun Supot Prommanot, Director
of the 3rd Regional Office of Fine Arts.
|The PBR Interactive Historical map shows the
positions of the Buddhist monasteries, researched by
Phraya Boran Rachathanin (PBR) in the early 20th
century. The map dates from 1926, and is as thus more
than 90 years old.
Phraya Boran Rachathanin realized a tremendous
historical work on the old city of Ayutthaya. The man
deserves a statue in Ayutthaya for his research activities,
at a time when the word "archaeologist" was hardly
known on the world stage. In fact we could even say
that Ayutthaya became a World Heritage City thanks to
|The mid-19th Century Interactive Historical map
shows the positions and ancient names of the Buddhist
monasteries in Ayutthaya, drafted in the reign of King
Rama IV around 1850. The map is as thus close to 170
The drafter of this map started likely his survey of
temples, forts, landings and other structures from the
northern side of Ayutthaya and the map as thus is
orientated to the south instead of the north. This map is
still in study by AHR and an evaluation of it will be
published on site at a later stage.
|The "Map of Ayudhya" drafted in 1957 by the
Archaeological Exploration Section of the Division of
Archaeology under the Department of Fine Arts shows
the important sites, known at that period.
The map is part of the booklet Guide to Ayudhya and
Bang-Pa-In by Tri Amatyakul (Prachandra Press,