|EASTERN CITY LIMITS OF AYUTTHAYA IN 1569
|The principal effort of the Burmese attack on Ayutthaya in 1569 seems to have occurred in the south east. The northern, western and southern flanks of the
city were protected by the rivers as a natural barrier, while the eastern side of the city was easily prone to attack, which occurred here.
The troops of Prince Thammaracha from Phitsanulok and the Burmese Uparat (second to the King of Hongsa) advanced over Kaeo Island (free translated
Crystal Island - the actual location of the temple "Wat Ko Kaeo") towards the city. The Siamese stockade at Crystal Island under command of Phra Maha
Thep was taken by the enemy.
The army of Phra Maha Thep was routed and he retreated to regroup in the area in front of Kho Monastery and Krabue Monastery. Being routed again
and withdrawing to regroup in the vicinity of Phao Khao Monastery, his broken forces were so scattered and repeatedly separated that they could not
reform their lines. The enemy thus, was able to enter the city of Ayutthaya on 30 August 1569, leading to its first fall.
The above, related in the Chronicles , indicates that the eastern Ayutthaya city limits in 1569 were situated along Khlong Makham Riang. The easy
Burmese approach of the city makes it clear that the Pa Sak River at that time running into the Lopburi River, did not yet changed its course.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 73 / Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, Phra
Cakkraphatdiphong & Royal Autograph.
|Text by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009