|SACRED SITES IN THE AYUTTHAYAN ERA
|Prince Uthumphon, as heir designated, succeeded to the throne of Ayutthaya on the death of his father King Borommakot in May 1758. His elder brother,
Prince Ekathat (r. 1758 - 1767) constantly interfered in every detail of the administration and rendered King Uthumphon's (r. 1758) position insecure. After
the cremation of his father, King Uthumphon preferred to abdicate in favor of his elder brother, entered the monkhood and retired to Wat Pradu (1). His
reign had lasted for only three months.
After the Burmese attack of 1760, Uthumphon's situation became more insecure due to court intrigues and he moved to the Palace (or its vicinity) of Jao Fa
Rasami Sri Suriyawong Phong Kasatri (2), a daughter of King Borommakot and as thus his stepsister.
When Ayutthaya was conquered by the Burmese armies of King Hsinbyushin (Mangra) in 1767, ex-King Uthumphon, known as Jao Fa Dok Madua
(Prince Fig Flower) was taken out of his shelter and brought to the Pho Sam Ton Camp in present Bang Pahan district (north of Ayutthaya). From here the
ex-king, together with most of the members of the royal family, hundreds of nobles and officials, and a vast number of soldiers and peasantry were taken to
The Burmese interrogated their prisoners on Ayutthaya's history, its royal ceremonies and ancient customs, and put all these testimonies down in Mon
writing to be presented to the king of Ava. Whether or not ex-King Uthumphon helped to compile the document is unknown, but in one or another way in
time it became attributed to him. A Burmese translation was found by the British in Mandalay in 1886 and a copy was sent to Siam in 1911, while also a
fragment of the testimonies reached Siam in the 4th Reign (1851-1868). From the testimony of the imprisoned residents of Ayutthaya we know today the
eight sacred sites outside the city of Ayutthaya, being the glory of the capital since olden times .
|The Sacred Sites
Wat Pa Mok
Wat Phra Non Jaksri
Wat Khun Intha Phramun
Wat Pho Aranyik
Phra Pathom Chedi
Phra Prathon Chedi
Phra Bat on on Suwannabanphot Hill
(1) Wat Pradu was part of the today's Wat Pradu Songtham. The latter was established by merging Wat Pradu and Wat Rong Tham.
(2) Area below Ayutthaya's Railway Station.
 Geographical description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace - Dr Winai Pongsripian - Bangkok (2007) - page 107.
 Before Ayutthaya Fell: Economic Life in an Industrious Society - Note on the Testimonies and the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of
the Siam Society, Vol. 99, 2011.