|WAT CHANG 2 (วัดช้าง)
|Wat Chang or the Monastery of the Elephant was given its name due to the elephant
statues that once encircled its main chedi. There is some debate on when it was
originally founded. This temple is listed as being built during the reign of King
Borommatrailokanat (r.1448-1488), at a time when Sukhothai was being absorbed
into Ayutthaya as a vassal state. However some sources believe that Wat Chang was
constructed even earlier - perhaps before the founding of Ayutthaya itself. Standing
Buddha images were found at this temple, which resemble those of the Sukhothai
Wat Chang was restored a number of times during the Late Ayutthaya period. King
Phumintharacha (r.1709-1733) is one monarch who contributed to repair work.
Today, this temple is near the site of an elephant camp, which offers snake shows and
the opportunity to view live tigers.
The monastery is located outside the city island in Tambon Phai Ling, south of Wat
Maheyong. In situ is a bell shaped chedi and large ordination hall.
|Text by Ken May - May 2009
Maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|(Wat Chang seen from the west)
|(Wat Chang seen from the northeast)
|(Wat Chang seen from the east)