|WAT CHI THAMMO (วัดชีธรรโม)
|Wat Chi Thammo or the Monastery of the Dharma Nun - also called Wat Sri
Thammo (วัดศรีธรรโม), in this case translated as the Monastery of the Splendid
Dharma - was located off the city island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Samphao
Lom sub-district. (1) It was situated on the south bank of the Chao Phraya River, west
of Wat Khun Phrom.
In situ, close to the waterfront, the foundation of a small monastic building still can be
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The site is indicated on a mid-19th century map (วัดชีทำโม) and on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 (วัดชิธรรโม) .
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo
Coord: +14° 20' 36.41" N, +100° 34' 1.26" E.
(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk. The area was known before as Ban
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Updated June 2011
|(View of the brick mound)
|(Scattered bricks & tiles)
|(Remaining foundations of Wat Chi Thammo?)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
|Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)