|WAT JIN 2 (วัดจิน)
|Wat Jin or the Chinese Monastery was located on the city island in the southeastern part
of Ayutthaya in Ho Ratanachai Sub-district on the premises of present Wat Ratanachai.
On a mid-19th century map, Wat Jin was located south of the Ho Rachakru Fortress.
On the 1974 Fine Arts Department map the temple is indicated behind the Ho Rachakru
Fortress (north of), and adjacent to the College Constantin. The site is also indicated on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's 1926 map.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in
geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 48.15" N, 100° 34' 50.90" E.
A relief depicting Buddha's great miracles dating back to the first half of the 8th century in
the Dvaravati art was excavated in situ. The sandstone relief, 127 cm high by 85 cm
wide, is displayed at the Bangkok National Museum.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2011
Updated July 2020
|(Detail of a 19th century map)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal
|(Sandstone relief depicting Buddha's great miracles - Dvaravati art)