WAT KHANGKHAO (วัดค้างคาว)
Wat Khangkhao or the Monastery of the Bat was situated off the city island in the
western area of Ayutthaya in Ban Pom Sub-district. The monastery was situated west of
Wat Tha (Ka Rong).

In situ stands a monastic structure; a heavily eroded central base of a chedi.

This monastery does not figure on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 and
could at that time have been considered as being part of Wat Tha. Nevertheless, locals in
its vicinity, who called it Wat Khangkhao, told us it was not belonging to Wat Tha and
should be considered as a separate monastery.

As seen in the pictures taken in 2009, the ruin stood before in an open field. Today the
field has been concreted to become parking due to the spread of Wat Tha Ka Rong,
while the ruin has been contained within.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.

The site is located at geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 28.44" N, 100° 32' 30.07" E.
Chedi in situ
Chedi in situ
Chedi in situ
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Updated June 2020
(Chedi in situ - July 2009)
(Chedi in situ - July 2009)
(Chedi in situ - July 2009)
(June 2020)
(June 2020)