|WAT KHOK MADAN LEK (วัดโคกมะดันเล็ก)
|Wat Khok Madan Yai or the Monastery of the Mound of the Small Madan Tree
(1) was located on the city island in the southern area in Pratu Chai sub-district. It was
situated in the present Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park; the latter being part of the
Ayutthaya Historical Park. The site of the former monastery is accessible via U-Thong
road and is found west of Wat Jao Prap.
The temple stood in between Wat Khok Madan Yai and Wat Saiya.
There are no visible traces remaining of this monastery at ground level.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The site is only indicated on a 2007 Fine Arts Department (FAD) map. Phraya Boran
Rachathanin on its 1926 map indicates two structures separated by a pond under the
denomination Wat Khok Madan Yai. FAD presumably renamed the western structure
Wat Khok Madan Lek, while Wat Khok Madan Yai was kept for the eastern structure,
closest to Wat Jao Phrap.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in
geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 29.12" N, 100° 33' 13.40" E.
(1) Madan” (มะดัน) is the Thai word for a tree with the Latin name "Garcinia
Schomburgkiana Pierre". This tree belongs to the Clusiaceae family native to Asia,
Australia, tropical and southern Africa, and Polynesia, consists of many species. The tree
is 3 to 7 m high and has medicinal capacities. Leafs and fruits macerated with saline water
provides a mucolytic drink which relieves cough and can also be used for the treatment of
|Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2011
Updated July 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)