|WAT NOI 2 (วัดน้อย)
|Wat Noi or the Little Monastery was located off the city island in the southern area of
Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom sub-district. (1) The temple was situated south of Wat Kuti
and southwest of Wat Mai Bang Kraja in Bang Kraja area (Thai Khu Bang Kraja)(2).
There are no traces of the monastery anymore above ground level.
The site is not indicated on a mid-19th century map, but is mentioned on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Some remains of the temple were excavated by the
Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 36.22" N, 100° 34' 24.90" E.
The monastery's historical background and period of construction are unknown.
(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk.
(2) Bang (บาง) is a village on a river bank.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2009
Updated June 2011, January 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)