|WAT SI RACHA (วัดสีราชา)
|Wat Si Racha or the Monastery of the Glorious King was located on the city island in
the western area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district.
The site is only indicated on a mid-19th century map and does not feature on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926, which shows only an empty space in
The monastery was situated on the south bank of a canal longing the Talaeng Kaeng
road, also called Thanon Lao. In the west stood Wat Takhe, while on its south stood
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level. Author
presumes this area was already cleared of temple ruins prior Phraya Boran Rachathanin's
arrival in Ayutthaya.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
Wat Si Racha must have been approximately located in geographical coordinates: 14°
21' 3.02" N, 100° 33' 15.98" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated July 2015
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)