|WAT HOI KHONG (วัดหอยโค่ง)
|Wat Hoi Khong or the Monastery of the Apple Snail was located on the city island in
the southwestern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district. The former monastery
was situated in the Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park, north of the restored ruin of Wat
Wang Chai and east of Wat Sakae (defunct).
It was formerly located on the bank of an ancient canal system, that in recent times had
been altered by the construction of the Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park. West of the
monument of Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin (behind), new trees were planted. A lot of
bricks were unearthed and probably once belonged to a structure from this former
The monastery is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, but no
traces of it could be found; and as such classified as disappeared. A mid-19th century
map indicates the monastery in nearly the same position as PBR does.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are not known.
The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 37.85" N, 100° 33' 0.11" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Updated April 2011, May 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)