|WAT KASATRATHIRAT (วัดกษัตรา)
|Wat Kasatrathirat is a monastery still in use by the Buddhist clergy. It is located off the
city island along the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, north of the road No 3263
leading to Suphanburi. It is situated in Ban Pom and lies at the edge of a large field called
Thung Prachet or Thung Worachet.
Besides the ordination hall and the relatively small prang, most of the monastic buildings
are from recent times. Although the history of this temple remains hazy, it is presumed
built in the Middle Ayutthaya period (1488 - 1629 AD). The principal prang is thick and
round in shape and not as streamlined as the other prangs in Ayutthaya. There are no
stairs to access the niche inside the prang. Traces of restoration are for example the bell-
shaped chedis in the niches, which earlier contained Buddha images.
The temple was renovated in the first reign of the Ratanakosin Period (1782-1809) by
Prince Khrom Khun Isranurak, a nephew of King Rama I. The renovation was in
essence a complete overhaul of the temple. The temple at that time changed name from
Wat Kasatra to Wat Kasatrathirat.
In the reign of King Rama IV, Pra Kru Winyanuwattikhun added more monastic
buildings. These new buildings included a new chapel sponsored by Khrom Mun
Ayulyaluksa Sombat (Prince Urai). The new chapel took 14 years to be finished in 1879.
Wat Kasatrathirat is classified as a third class Royal temple of the 2th grade -
Voraviharn, following a ranking system for royal temples initiated in 1913 and
consequently has beautiful carved double bai sema around the ordination hall (ubosot).
The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya recount that Posuphla, the General of the Burmese
Armies, at the end of 1766, sent soldiers to establish a stockade at the Village of the
Fort (Ban Pom), so that they could fire their large guns on the City of Ayutthaya.
 Wat Kasatra was badly destroyed and deserted during the last siege of Ayutthaya by
Near Wat Kasatra was one of the former four western ferries across the old Lopburi
River - at present the Chao Phraya River (1) - linking the monastery with the Dan Lom
Landing. (2) 
The site is indicated on a mid-19th century map as Wat Krasattraram
(วัดกระสัตตราราม) and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 as Wat
Kasatra (วัดกษัตรา). On the oldest map we find the presence of a prang, still in
Wat Kasatrathirat is located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 7.56" N, 100° 32' 39.08" E.
(1) The Chao Phraya River has been deviated into the river bed of the old Lopburi River
in the post-Ayutthayan era anno 1857. See the essay: Ayutthaya's ever-changing
(2) In Ayutthayan times there were twenty-two ferry routes. In the western area, the
three other crossings were: from Wat Chayaram to Ban Chi, from the Rear Palace to
Wat Lot Chong and from Chao Phraya Phonlathep’s residence to Wat Thamma.
 See "The Boat & Ferry Landings of Ayutthaya".
 Website www.dhammathai.org/watthai/listroyalwat1.php - data retrieved 14 Dec 09.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman - page 511 /
Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, & Royal Autograph.
 อธิบายแผนที่พระนครศรีอยุธยากับคำวินิจฉัยของพระยาโบราฌราชาธานินท์ ฉบับชำระครั้งที่๒
และ ภูมิสถนกรุงศรีอยุธยา (2007) - Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of
Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya Kingdom - Ton Chabab
print office - Nonthaburi (2007) - page 92.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated May 2011, June 2014
|(View of the ubosot and adjacent vihara)
|(Prang of Wat Kasatra)
|(Vihara and outer wall)
|(View from the opposite side of the river)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)