|Thung Prachet also called Thung Worachet was an area west of the city of Ayutthaya bordered approximately in the north by the old connection
canal to the Chao Phraya River, a stretch of the old Bang Kaeo River; in the east the old Lopburi River, today the Chao Phraya River; in the south
Khlong Klaep leading to Wat Suren and in the west Khlong Khu Mon. In the area ran Khlong Ban Pom, a waterway leading from the old
connection canal to Wat Worachet.
Following were the temples in alphabetical order, located in this area: Wat Khangkhao (ruin), Wat Ka Rong (commemoration pavilion), Wat
Kasatrathirat (active temple), Wat Lot Chong (active temple), Wat Pa Sao (ruin), Wat Pom Noi (defunct), Wat Pom Yai (active temple), Wat Racha
Phli (defunct), Wat Suren (defunct), Wat Tha (active temple), Wat Thammaram (active temple) and Wat Worachet (restored ruin).
The area is mentioned in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya as the location where the Governor of Bassein (1) and his troops as part of the
Hongsawadi army set up a stockade during the Burmese-Siamese war of 1563-64. 
The King of Hongsawadi led his army through Kancanaburi and, reaching Ayutthaya on Saturday, the fifth day of the waxing moon of the
fourth month, erected his royal stockade in [BCDF: the Municipality of Kum Dòng. The army of the Uparat erected its stockade in the
Municipality of Phaniat. The army of the King of Præ erected its stockade in] the Municipality of the New Village of Makham Yang. The
army of the Phraya of Bassein erected its stockade in the Municipality of [BCDE: Prachet] [F: Wòrachet Monastery] Plain.
Sources indicate that there must have been a Siamese fort in this area being one of the outer defenses of the capital. This fort, protecting the city of
Ayutthaya on its western side, was called Fort Champa and is mentioned in the Royal Chronicles. It was one of the four outer forts of which one is
indicated on the map of the Chao Phraya River from de La Loubère (2). Prince Damrong Rajanubhab wrote that on the location of Champa fort
there was a village called Pom Champa (Ban Pom) up to the present day. 
(1) Bassein, called today Pathein is the capital of the Ayeyarwady Region, Burma and once part of the Mon Kingdom. The city lies on the Pathein
River, a western branch of the Irrawaddy River. Pathein is situated 190 kilometers west of Yangon.
(2) "A Mapp of the Course of the River Menam from Siam to the Sea" by Simon de La Loubère published in 1763 indicating the wooden Hantra
Fort near Ban Dokmai.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - 32 / Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, Phra
Cakkraphatdiphong & Royal Autograph - War With Hongsawadi, 1563-1564.
 Prince Damrong Rajanubhab - Our Wars with the Burmese (1917) - White Lotus, Bangkok (2000) - page 172 Footnote 11.
|Text by Tricky Vandenberg - June 2014