|WAT SUREN (วัดสุเรนทร์)
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2009
Updated April 2020
|Wat Suren or the Monastery of Indra is located off Ayutthaya’s city island in the
western area in Ban Pom Sub-district. It is situated on Road #347, just next to a small
coconut factory and south of Wat Worachet.
In situ is a brick mound with remnants of a wall and broken Buddha statues. The site is
covered in dense vegetation.
The monastery was likely surrounded by a moat and was accessed by a canal called
Khlong Klaep, which had a junction with the Chao Phraya River, north of Wat Chai
Watthanaram. A canal leading to a temple, presumably Wat Suren, is found on the map
of the map of Jean de Maguelonne de Courtaulin (1638?-1...) titled "Siam ou Iudia,
Capitalle du Royaume de Siam Dessigné sur le lieu Par Mr Courtaulin missre
Apostolique de la Chine" and published in 1686 by Franciscus Jollain, the elder (1641-
The monastery's historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The site is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 47.19" N, 100° 31' 44.29" E.
(1) สุเรนทร์ = Indra.
|(Brick mound in situ)
|(Remnant of a Buddha statue)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|(Detail of Jean de Maguelonne de Courtaulin's map - Anno 1686)