|WAT PHISUA (วัดผีเสื้อ)
|Wat Phisua was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Khlong
Sra Bua sub-district, Moo 6. The monastery was situated west of the road running
parallel with Khlong Hua Ro (the old Lopburi River), south of Wat Khrutharam and
west of Wat Khae; adjacent to the former location of Wat Lamut.
Wat Phisua was set in Thung Kaeo, an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on
the west and north by Khlong Sra Bua; on the east by Khlong Hua Ro and in the south
by Khlong Mueang.
Wat Phisua is an unrestored and rather large ruin, totally covered in vegetation. Access is
somehow a bit difficult. Remnants of the outer wall and some chedi foundations can be
seen, while orange-red flat bricks are shattered all over the place. Observing the digging
holes, the site has been victim of treasure farming in earlier times. The monastery is
surrounded by a moat (clearly visible from satellite pictures).
The denomination Phisua refers likely not to a butterfly, but to a kind of yaksa also
called raksot (รากษส) ; a giant who had the duty to protect or take care of a water
entity such as a river, a canal, a swamp or a sea.  In the epic story written by Sunthon
Phu (1787–1855) the poem of Phra Aphani Mani, we find such a water demon called
Nang Phisua Samut (ocean demon). A statue of the demon can be seen on Phuktian
beach in Cha-Am (Petchaburi).
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site features on a 1993 and 2007 Foreign Arts Department map. Some remains of
the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo Coord: +14° 22'
29.46" N, +100° 33' 35.91" E.
 พจนานุกรมสถาปัตยกรรมและศิลปะเกี่ยวเนื่อง ศาสตราจารย์โชติ
กัลยาณมิตร (2005) - page 331.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated September 2011, March 2015
|(Brick remnants in situ)
|(Brickwork of a bygone chedi)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)