Wat Chumphon, or the Monastery of Concentration of Troops, was situated off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in the Hua Ro Sub-district. The brick mound is located on the west bank of the new Lopburi River. Khlong Daeng, a canal linking the old and the new Lopburi River, ran on its northern side. Wat Chedi Daeng was west and Wat Si Fan south.

The mound, which contains some old bricks and traces of Buddha images, is positioned next to an electrical tower and a Ficus Religiosa or Bodhi tree.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown. Still, the name of the monastery, situated close to Phaniat, let us presume that it was once a gathering area for troops before going into battle.

In the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya, we find indications that armies were readied in its vicinity. King Chakkraphat (reign 1548-1569 CE) ordered the gathering of troops in 1551 CE to attack Lovek, the capital of the Khmers.

"In 894, a year of the dragon, fourth of the decade, King Cakkraphat, hearing reports that the government of Hongsawadi was at peace, ordered that an army of fifty thousand be readied at Phaniat and that a naval force be conscripted from among the cities of the south. He appointed Phraya Yao to be the commander-in-chief and Phra Si Chodük to be the commander of the vanguard." [1]

King Borommakot (reign 1733-1758) ordered the composition of an army at Wat Chedi Daeng (Monastery of the Holy Red Funeral Monument) in 1750 CE to assist the Khmers in fighting off the Vietnamese and Kampuchea becoming a vassal state of Ayutthaya again.

“Meanwhile, over in the Country of Kamphut, the Eminent Holy Satha Ong Ing went to ask for the brigades of a Yuan army to come and attack the Capital of Kamphuchathibòdi. Now the Eminent Holy Ramathibòdi and the Eminent Holy Si Chai Chet were unable to battle the Yuan and thereupon led Their voluntary groups of followers in fleeing, routed, on in to seek the protection of the Accumulation of Merit of the Holy Paramount Fig Tree by way of the Municipality of Pracinburi. The government officials of the Municipality of Pracin sent a report document on in and the Chief Magistrate prostrated himself in homage and told the King. The King thereupon manifested His holy compassion by being pleased to send crown servants out to bring both of the Khmer lords, and their voluntary groups of followers, on in to the Holy Grand Metropolis. Then the King issued a holy royal proclamation commanding ten thousand troops be conscripted and sending Phraya Ratcha Suphawadi out to encamp and assemble the troops there at the Monastery of the Holy Red Funeral Monument.” [1]

The site shows on the Fine Arts Department maps of 1993 and 2007 CE.

At least three other monasteries off Ayutthaya's city island are called "Chumphon". One site is situated in the north in Wat Tum Sub-district (Wat Chumphon 1), a second one in the south-east in Khlong Suan Phlu Sub-district (Wat Chumphon 3) and a third one in the south in Pak Kran Sub-district (Wat Chumphon 4).

Wat Chumphon was in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 28.90" N, 100° 34' 20.94" E.


[1] Cushman, Richard D. & Wyatt, David K. (2006). The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. Bangkok: The Siam Society. p. 29.

[2] Ibid. p. 449.