WAT KET (2)





Wat Ket is an active monastery located off the city island of Ayutthaya in the northwestern area, in the Ban Mai Sub-district. It is situated on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River and opposite the Suriyothai Memorial Park.


In situ is a new monastic complex with different structures. The ordination hall (Th: ubosot) is built in the classic late Ayutthaya style and stands in the classical east-west alignment. It has a three-tiered roof with beautifully decorated gables. The hall has two porches with two entries and is surrounded by a wall. Four columns on each porch support the roof. There are five rectangular windows on the northern and southern sides.


North of the ordination hall stands a mondop surrounded by a gallery and topped by a minor prang, containing a Phra Bat or Buddha footprint. Other typical monastic structures are also present as vihara, kuti etc.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. The site is not indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 CE, as the temple is located on the outskirts of Ayutthaya.





This temple is prone to flooding in the rainy season as it is located on the main river, while opposite, the water reservoir of the Queen Suriyothai Memorial was until recently used as an area to retain the overflow of water coming down from the north. Recently many structural works have been undertaken on the site to prevent its flooding. At the weekends, a large market is held on the temple premises.


Wat Ket is in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 59.41" N, 100° 31' 20.86" E.