WAT KUTI (1)





Wat Kuti, or the Monastery of the Hermitage of the Monk, is situated in the southwestern area, off Ayutthaya's city island, in the Ban Pom Sub-district.


The ruin lies along the south bank of the Chao Phraya River (1), south and in the vicinity of Wat Sanam Chai. Wat Khok Phlu stood southeast.


In situ is a brick mound covered with vegetation.


The ruin is indicated on a 19th-century map and Phraya Boran Ratchathanin’s map of 1926 CE.


Its historical background and period of construction are not known.


The brick mound of Wat Kuti is in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 25.32" N, 100° 32' 38.59" E.





(View of the site of Wat Kuti - February 2010 CE)



Footnotes:


(1) Not many people realise the Chao Phraya River was not running on the west side of the city island in the Ayutthaya period. At that time, it was the Lopburi River that flowed around Ayutthaya. Today's Chao Phraya River ran through the Bang Ban Canal to Si Kuk and from there to Bang Sai (historical site: Chedi Wat Sanam Chai), where the Lopburi River joined the Chao Phraya River. At the time, the Chao Phraya River was situated about ten kilometres west of the centre of Ayutthaya. The city was linked to the ancient Chao Phraya River in the northwest of Ayutthaya via the Khlong Maha Phram and in the southwest via the Khlong Nam Ya. Steve Van Beeck (1994), in 'The Chao Phya: River in Transition" (Oxford University Press - New York.), writes that "It was not until 1857 that an alternative path was created [for the Chao Phraya River]. A 5-kilometre channel was dug from the entrance of Wat Chulamani to Ban Mai. The river responded by following this new course and abandoning the old one, in effect making a secondary river of the stretch that ran from Ban Mai, and into the Chao Phya Noi. Half as wide as the river above and below it, the 1857 Ban Mai shunt funnels the Chao Phya down to Ayutthaya."