WAT SARARI





Wat Sarari was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Lum Phli Sub-district (1), on the edge of Thung Khwan (2).


Wat Sarari was located just north of the electrical plant, east of road No 309 leading to Ang Thong and the Naresuan Memorial Park.


In situ is a brick mound covered with vegetation. An electrical mast was constructed on the site. The monastery was situated northwest of the three temples in line Wat Khrut, Wat Surintharacha and Wat Phai Lom. Wihan Wat Noi stands on the west opposite the road. The monastery probably bears the name of its female founder. When a temple was built to earn merit, this was usually expressed in the name of the building. [1]


The monastery is only indicated on a 1993 Fine Arts Department (FAD) map.


The temple ruins are in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 54.01" N, 100° 33' 11.00" E.


Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.


Footnotes:

(1) ลุ่ม - low lying land / พลี - religious offering.

(2) Thung Khwan, or "Field of Fumes", is an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on the north by Thung Lum Phli, on the east by Khlong Sra Bua and Thung Kaeo, in the south by the old Lopburi River and in the west by Thung Phukhao Thong. This area was likely related to crematory services.





References:


[1] Döhring, Karl (1920). Buddhist temples of Thailand (Buddhistische Tempelanlagen in Siam). E.J. Tips (2000). p. 9.