Wat Surintharacha was situated off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in the Tha Wasukri Sub-district. The temple was north of Wat Choeng Tha and the Dock of the Royal barges in a locality called Thung Khwan (1).

In situ is a brick mound covered with vegetation.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

The temple has been likely named after its founder, Phraya Surintharacha, a Siamese nobleman at the Court. Chao Phraya or Phraya Surintharacha was a title conferred by the king. The real name of the founder remains thus unknown. The denomination of this temple goes at par with, for example, Wat Bot Racha Decha, a temple dedicated to one of the commanding officers under the Kalahom. Here also, Racha Decha is a title.

In 'The Thalang Letters' we find a Chao Phraya Surintharacha in the reign of King Suriyamarin (1758-1767 CE): Chao Phya Surintharacha was the son of a high official in the reign of the last king of Ayutthaya. He served in the capital and later went to Nakhon Si Thammarat where the ruler made him Uparat (vice-chief). When Tak Sin punished the latter, Chao Phya Surintharacha was given another post in the capital. He had married into the family of the rulers of Nakhon Si Thammarat. He then went back to the provinces. Though he was a long resident in the area, he does not seem to have been connected with the old Thalang family. [1]

The monastery is only indicated on a 1993 Fine Arts Department (FAD) map.

The temple ruins are in geographical coordinates: 14° 21' 51.96" N, 100° 33' 17.17" E.


(1) Thung Khwan, or "Field of Fumes", is an area north of the city of Ayutthaya bordered on the north by Thung Lum Phli, on the east by Khlong Sra Bua and Thung Kaeo, in the south by the old Lopburi River and in the west by Thung Phukhao Thong. This area was likely related to crematory services.


[1] Simmonds, E. H. S. The Thalang Letters, 1773-94: Political Aspects and the Trade in Arms. pp. 609-10.