Wat Ta Muk, or the Monastery of Grandfather Muk, is located outside the city island in the western area of Ayutthaya in the Pak Kran Sub-district.

The temple stood north of Khlong Wat Chai Watthanaram along Road No 3469, just opposite Wat Tao. Wat Suren stood in the north, while Wat Krachai was in the south.

In situ is a brick mound covered with vegetation.

The historical background and construction period of the former monastery are unknown, although the temple is mentioned in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya.

The army of the Burmese General Nemiao Sihabodi (Ne Myo Thihapate) set up army camps around the city of Ayutthaya in early 1767 CE. One of the enclosures reinforced with bastions was set up at the Monastery of the Victory Pavilion, which was likely an alternative name for Wat Ta Muk. From this position, the city was fired at with large guns.

"The next morning Nemiao, the general of the armies, conscripted men and had all his army masters and brigade masters lead them on in to establish stockades at the Monastery of the Krachai Plant, the Monastery of the Victory Pavilion, the Monastery of the Tortoise, the Monastery of the God Indra and the Monastery of Red. They had bastions built in each and every stockade and large and small guns taken up onto them to be fired at the capital in volleys." [1] (Named respectively: Wat Krachai, Wat Ta Muk, Wat Tao, Wat Suren and Wat Daeng)

The historical background and period of construction of this monastery are unknown.

Wat Ta Muk is shown on the Monthon Krung Kao map of 1916 CE as Khok Wat Phlap (โคกวัดพลับ), an indication that the site was earlier named Wat Phlapphla Chai as mentioned in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. The reason why the Fine Arts Department changed the name to Wat Ta Muk is unknown.

Wat Ta Muk is mentioned on later Fine Arts Department maps but is not indicated on Phraya Boran Ratchathanin's map of 1926 CE as it is outside the scope of his map.

The site is in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 23.02" N, 100° 32' 0.97" E.


[1] Cushman, Richard D. & Wyatt, David K. (2006). The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya. Bangkok: The Siam Society. p. 512.

(View of the site of Wat Ta Muk - December 2008 CE)