Wat Trai Trueng is a reconstructed temple ruin located on Ayutthaya's city island in the Ayutthaya Historical Park in the Pratu Chai Sub-district. The monastery is situated in the vicinity of Wat Phra Ram, established on the cremation site of the first Ayutthayan monarch King U-Thong, officially called Ramathibodhi I. The ruin is located in Bueng Phra Ram - north of Pa Thon Rd and the Ayutthaya Witthayalai School.

In situ is an east-directed sermon hall (vihara) with a chedi on its western side. There are also some foundations of satellite chedis remaining. Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.

The "Master Plan for Tourism Development of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya and the Neighbouring Provinces" mentions no remains of this temple. The document stipulates that there were only three temples left in Bueng Phra Ram in 1988, all in poor condition, being: Wat Nok, Wat Song Pat (likely Wat Sangkha Pat) and Wat Langkha Dam. The ruin of Wat Trai Trueng we see today must have been entirely reconstructed. [1]

The temple could be possibly named after the City of Trai Trueng, a settlement in the area of Kamphaengphet on the Ping River (one of the major tributaries of the Chao Phraya River) established by a group of Thai from the area of Chieng Saen. The Burmese expelled them in the latter part of the twelfth century. The city became likely a vassal to Sukhothai in the middle of the thirteenth century. The town was said to be once the home of the mother of King U-Thong. The princess was expelled from the city by her father, the King of Trai Trueng, after marrying a commoner. They both left the city and established Thep Nakhon in 1319. In 1344, their son U-Thong became king and moved the capital to Ayutthaya in 1351. (Based on the work of Somdet Phra Wannarat, the Culayuddhakaravamsa). [2]

Engelbert Kaempfer, a medical doctor working for the Dutch VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie), on his visit to Ayutthaya in June 1690 CE, indicates Wat Trai Trueng on his sketch at 200 paces to the west of Wat Song Khon.

The site is indicated on a map drafted in the mid-19th century and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map of 1926 CE.

The ruin of Wat Trai Trueng is in geographical coordinate: 14° 21' 12.04" N 100° 33' 49.42" E.


[1] Tourism Authority of Thailand (1988). Master Plan for Tourism Development of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya and the Neighbouring Provinces.

[2] Kasetsiri, Charnvit (1976). The Rise of Ayudhya. Oxford University Press. London. p56.